Saturday, September 10, 2005

I am so smart! S - M - R - T. . .


We went to the pediatrician's for Elizabeth's 9 month checkup on Thursday. She's growing well--28.5 inches long, and 16 lb. 7 oz. That puts her in the 85th percentile for height and the 15th percentile for weight (translation: she's a stringbean baby!) As the doctor was asking about developmental milestones, I started to realize how much she's started doing in the past few months. . .So please excuse the following shameless Mommy brag.

Elizabeth can:
--get into a sitting position by herself
--crawl
--pull herself up (and doesn't she look proud?)
--wave "goodbye"
--clap her hands
--make all sorts of vowel-consonant combinations
--whisper and shriek
--point to things
--feed herself rice puffs, peas, diced carrots, etc.
--sign for "more" of something (like the above foods)
--write a coherent five-paragraph essay in which she analyzes how the tension between the characters' outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the underlying themes of Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter (or another literary work of comparable merit)

P.S. Caleb, Elizabeth now has FOUR teeth. Numbers 3 and 4 broke through just yesterday. :)

5 comments:

Amberlynn said...

Wow, I remember them explaining what an essay *was* my first year of college english. I think I fell asleep that day. Go Elisabeth!

B^4 said...

Wow, all Baby Brooklyn has done so far is get accepted to Vassar.

"I've had enough of your Vassar bashing!"...

momila said...

wow, I can only do three of those things competently...and not the last one, sadly.

Kellie and/or Joseph said...

I wrote that exact essay. Bet hers was better, though.

The Olson Family said...

Brandon--no way is Vassar going to accept someone with a mullet like your daughter's. I'm thinking. . .Sarah Lawrence. Yeah. . .Call professors by first name. ;)