Friday, May 04, 2012

March + April

A random sampling of what's been going on at La Casa del Olson this spring:


A special cake for a special birthday boy.  Happy #33, Jared!  


Despite limited success in the past, I have high hopes for this year's veggie garden.  I even bought a grow light!  The girls are excited, too;  every time we go to the hardware store or garden center, they want to pick out seeds for the garden.  Elizabeth wants to grow corn;  Anna wants to grow watermelon.  I'm hoping to grow enough tomatoes to do some canning.  Keep your fingers crossed for us!  


The kiddos weren't too enthusiastic about modeling their Easter finery.  (I'm a sucker for matchy outfits for the kids, but this was truly serendipitous:  I'd bought that shirt for Ben nearly a year ago, in a clearance sale, and then just a few weeks before Easter I found those dresses for the girls at the JBF sale.  Voila:  coordinating outfits for all three of them, for less than the original retail price of just one.)

 

Easter Eggs, 2012

I can't remember why Anna was upset, but she perked up as soon as we let them loose in the front yard for the Easter egg hunt.  Speaking of Anna. . .

Kids seem to have something in their genetic code that compels them to put anything remotely hat-like on their heads.  In this case, it's a milk jug with the bottom cut off (to be used as a "hot cap" to protect frost-tender plants in the garden, if you must know.) 


We got a special visitor in the mail:  Elizabeth's cousin in New Jersey sent us a paper doll version of herself, as part of a school project.  (Elizabeth was particularly excited because, as luck would have it, she's been reading Flat Stanley at school as well!)  We took "Flat Brooklyn" for a visit to the state capitol and then mailed her back home, along with a letter and some photos of Utah. 


Soccer season is here!  We went ahead and signed Anna up along with Elizabeth--and it's been pretty entertaining to watch her team of 3- and 4-year-olds.  I love how the shorts hit them below their knees. 

Ben usually spends the second half of the night with us.  He gets really restless around 4, but then around 6 he settles back down into a deep sleep until 8 or so.  I love waking up to see him utterly sacked out like this. 

Whenever Anna finds an ant outside, she runs in asking for some food so she can feed them, and I'll give her a piece of a cracker or something similar.  One day she decided to bypass me and just grabbed a box of Triscuits from the pantry.  I opened the door later that day and discovered this: 



Ahhh, spring--we're glad you're here!

No comments: