Friday, June 01, 2012

More Stuff My Kids Say

pop-on earrings: Elizabeth's word for clip-on earrings. I'm sure if I told her the correct term she'd quickly pick it up and start using it. . .so I intentionally don't correct her.

Nano: Anna's nickname for Elizabeth. She's been using it less and less lately. . .which makes me a little sad!

Nano

wiper towels: Elizabeth's word for paper towels. . .although now everyone in the family calls them "wiper towels".

Yikes! Someone get me a wiper towel for this dirty little face

One chilly day I asked Anna to go out to the car to get something. She replied, "I can't. I don't have shoes on, and I don't want to 'brr' my feet."

At City Creek mall, you have to ride two escalators to get to the upper level. On a recent visit we got off the first escalator, and as we turned the corner and Anna saw the second escalator, she exclaimed, "Now we have to go even UPPER!"

Rapunzel had to go up and up. . .and then even UPPER to get to the top of that tower.

My favorite parenting tool is to offer kids choices to entice them to agree to something--for example, I'll tell them it's bath time and then ask if they want hot, cold, or warm water. The other night, Anna proclaimed that she wanted a bath with "heaty" water.

And then there's Anna's dairy lexicon. I think I've mentioned before what a little cheese hound Anna is; she loves cheese in any form, even if she doesn't get the names exactly right. . .

caught-of cheese (also cucky cheese): cottage cheese

strange cheese: string cheese

sprinkle cheese: shredded cheese

snacking cheese: slices of brick cheese. We had to make this distinction when she kept raiding the bags of "sprinkle cheese" when she was hungry, making a huge mess in the process. I finally told her THAT kind of cheese was NOT for snacking, and that if she wanted a snack of cheese I would slice her some.

I can't wait till Ben starts to talk and add his own words to our growing family lexicon!





No comments: