Monday, July 27, 2009

Tooth Fairy






One night last week, Elizabeth was taking a bath--as usual, she was making up elaborate stories about her toy frogs and rubber duck and narrating their adventures out loud. I was in my bedroom and heard her say, "Whoa! My teeth are loose!" I figured it must have been one of the frogs "talking", but a minute later she dashed into my room and excitedly showed me--her two bottom front teeth were indeed loose!

After a couple of days of wiggling and checking and endless questions about the Tooth Fairy ("What does she do with the teeth? How does she get to my room? Does she have an alarm clock that tells her when my tooth falls out?"), the tooth on the left was extremely loose. On Saturday morning Elizabeth bravely said she was ready to pull it out, so we tied a little lasso of thread around it, she gave a good tug. . .and changed her mind because that first tug kind of hurt.

That afternoon after lunch, I gave Elizabeth an ice cream bar and sent her out to the porch to eat it. A few minutes later she ran inside, tooth in hand (and chocolate all over her face). She said she had been finishing up her ice cream bar when she felt something hard, so she spit everything out and voila: there was her tooth!

Bedtime was particularly exciting that night. Books about losing teeth, another volley of questions about the Tooth Fairy, and finally the placing of the tooth under the pillow. The next morning Elizabeth was thrilled to find the Sacajawea dollar the Tooth Fairy left behind. (The coin went straight into her "scooter box"--just seven more teeth and she should have enough money to buy that scooter!)


6 comments:

Schmoopasaurus Rex said...

Great job Elizabeth!

And a tip:
Don't let Poppa convince you that pliers are a good way to pull out stubborn teeth, just wait it out. Trust me.

Kellie/Joe said...

Joe says that Bits is looking more and more like Jared. I disagree. That kid's eyes are 100% Holly.

The tooth fairy seems more generous that when I was four, and as I see it, she owes me for the three crowns I've had.

Another tip: pay attention to the story of uncle Brandon, and don't pull out two teeth prematurely to impress another kid at preschool.

Momila said...

All right Liz! We knew that tooth was going to fall out on it's own it was soooo loose! And it didn't hurt at all, did it??
The tooth fairy is exactly as generous as she was in 1985. Kellie.

Uncle Brandon was just showing off for Lisa. And I think he pulled out 3 teeth in one day. Anyhow, I know I got a call from his teacher (sigh) again.

B^4 said...

Beautiful pics, Holly. E-beth looks a lot like you.

HAHAHA, Poppa's light-blue handled needle-nosed pliers. Wow, that brings back some bad memories.

Lisa M. was "all up-ons" after I pulled out teeth in Mrs. Gardner's classroom.

Is NO ONE going to mention Moe Syzlack's comment re: Sacajawea dollars!!? Holly left the door wide open on that one. Eppersons, we've lost our touch.

B^4 said...

Oh... overhearing Brookers conversation with Elizabeth last week, Brittiny reported the following:

"Elizabeth, you have to teach me to read."

Brooklyn is then quiet for a 10-count while E-beth speaks on the other end. Then Brooklyn, a little excited, begins gesticulating wildly with her non-cellphone-holding hand as she says loudly:

"I know, I know! I am looking right at the words but I just don't know what they say!"

Momila said...

Dad swears he NEVER pulled out any of your teeth. I think our collective memories are a lot better than his.
ALL of you kids remember the needle nose pliers...how can THAT be if he never said "I'm going to get that tooth if you won't"