Monday, October 02, 2006

Autumn



We spent Saturday afternoon at Uncle Dan's and Aunt Clare's house. The boys all went over to help Uncle Dan with the new house construction, while the girls had a little party for cousin Bronwen. We made some oh-so-stunning party crowns, decorated the bikes and wagons, and went for a "parade" down the street.


(I think Elizabeth is a little jealous that her cousins' neighbors are cows, goats, and chickens!)



On the way back we stopped at the pumpkin patch. Elizabeth thought the pumpkins made great chairs. . .


It's hard to believe that it's fall already! This has always been my favorite season, but this year it's been especially gratifying to me to share in Elizabeth's discoveries as the season changes. . .to see the smile on her face as she shuffles through the crunchy leaves, to watch her determined scramble across a muddy pumpkin patch, to teach her to throw those little winged maple tree seeds into the air and watch them spiral downwards (over and over and over!). I often tell Jared that becoming a mom has made me feel "old"--but for brief moments it also allows me to be young again, when I catch glimpses of the world through my little one's eyes.

4 comments:

momila said...

Holly, I just sat here this morning with tears in my eyes as i reminisced about all the things I got to experience through my baby's eyes--five times over. thank you for giving us Elizabeth & the wonder of the world I get to see yet again through her eyes.

Kellie and/or Joseph said...

You two ARE old. AND sappy.
Still, I love you.

Elizabeth is adorable smelling the flowers!!!

mikbeth said...

That was so refreshing! I can't wait to watch Lydia enjoy all the wonders of nature. Right now she's pretty content with picking up acorns and throwing them on the ground. Elizabeth is so darling!

B^4 said...

Holly - that's beautiful writing. You capture the moment so well! No wonder Mr. Gentry thought u were d'shiznit... love ya.

BooBear