Friday, April 06, 2012

Lovebirds, Part I

It's been seven years since the last Olson wedding, so we were all excited when Sarah and Skylar both got engaged this winter. To save Emily the trouble of making the trip from California twice, they settled on wedding dates just 12 days apart. Hoo, boy.

The fun started with Sarah's and Christian's wedding. The weather couldn't have been more cooperative. . .it was unseasonably warm for March, and just overcast enough to make for some beautiful lighting:


(You can't see it, but Anna is holding a stuffed deer in her lap here. She somehow smuggled "Bambi" along and insisted on holding her for the pictures. . .)


The grandkids heartily approve of Skylar's fiance, Jordan.


Our family (plus the aforementioned Bambi)


Mr. and Mrs. Thompson



Fiona and Jordan were all too happy to be Sarah's "attendants"


The granddaughters. Look closely and you'll see little Saoirse sound asleep on Sarah's lap.


Ben finally gave up and went to sleep while we were still taking pictures.


I think Anna would've fallen asleep, too, if she had a stroller to sit in. Poor girl was so tired--we'd spent the night at a hotel downtown and the kids went swimming Friday afternoon and again on Saturday morning before the wedding.

After we had pictures taken, Jared had to head back home to help set up for a basketball tournament. I stayed behind in Salt Lake, thinking it'd be fun to walk the kids to City Creek for lunch with the rest of the cousins. The crowds were shoulder-to-shoulder, but we pressed forward with an eye single to our goal: the food court.

Q: Why am I smiling as I singlehandedly drag three grouchy, footsore kids through the record-breaking crowds at City Creek on opening weekend?!?

A: I just spotted the Chick-fil-a.


After lunch, the kids and I waited at Temple Square for Jared to pick us back up. As we waited, Anna asked me, "Mommy, how do you find a man to marry?" I'm still not sure where to begin answering her. . .

At the reception, the kids had a wonderful time running around outside, playing with their "new cousins" (Christian's nieces and nephews), and taking full advantage of the dessert buffet and the photo booth.



The kids playing "Duck, Duck, Goose" on the lawn

After dancing, cake, and the bouquet toss it was time to bid farewell to the happy couple. The kids were such troopers. . .by the time we loaded them in the car to go home, Ben was so tired that he fell asleep before Jared had even finished buckling him into his seat. On the way home, Jared said, "Now I know what people mean when they say they could sleep for days. . .I feel like one night of sleep isn't enough to recover from this!" I heartily agreed with him. What can I say? We're getting old!

The next 12 days flew by in a flurry of outings and celebrations--Grandma's birthday, Conference breakfast, a trip to Gardner Village with the cousins--and suddenly it was Skylar's wedding day!

To be continued. . .

2 comments:

Kellie/Joe said...

I LOVE that picture of you dragging your kids, you look amazing!

Momila said...

You are so gorgeous..sometimes it takes me back a little, to see you like that (clean, I mean, or maybe just dolled up....whateves!) you LOOKED MAHVELOUS and the wedding was lovely.