Turret Arch
After the Windows, we went up to Devil's Kitchen to see how far we could get before the kids ran out of steam. We made it to Landscape Arch, probably the second most "famous" arch in the park, and a even more spectacular by morning than evening, I'm told:
Thursday morning we walked out to Broken Arch. This hike quickly became a favorite: a soft, sandy trail with terrain flat enough for the kids to handle, through beautiful changing scenery. We saw tracks of bighorn sheep, a flock of blue birds chasing each other over and around and through the fins of red rock, and yellow horsetail and silvery-green juniper bushes dotting the landscape, all under a bowl of brilliant blue sky.
Jared had gone ahead with the girls, with Brittiny and Mom and me a few hundred yards behind. As the arch came into view, I was surprised to see somebody standing on top of it. . .hang on, that "somebody" was my husband!
Not to be outdone, Brittiny and I climbed to the top too. We were a little less adventurous, though, and weren't willing to stand quite so close to the edge:
Dad had stayed behind to wait for Braden to finish his nap in the car. By the time they caught up with the rest of us, we were ready to head out, so we left Dad at the base of the arch and started down the trail. A few minutes later we looked back--and of course, now Dad was standing on top of the arch.
"Pussycats always stay together when it's far". I have no clue just how it got started, but this is something Elizabeth and Brooklyn kept telling each other on the hikes. They were so delighted to be together that we probably could've marched them across Siberia and they wouldn't have complained. Every time we got out of the car and they saw each other, they'd shriek and run together for a big bear hug. I'm surprised Brooklyn didn't break her nose, crashing into Elizabeth's sternum every time they reunited.
After a morning of hiking, we stopped to eat lunch and let the kids do a little climbing of their own:
Aww, look at that cute family! (At least one couple thought we were all one nuclear family, until Jared set them straight. I guess it must be confusing when you see four kids who look like they're the right ages to be a set of siblings, plus two adults who could pass for either grandparents or parents, and then three other adults--one of whom is short enough to mistaken for a teenager and the other two who look more like siblings than husband and wife. Jared said something about how with Brandon back at home, maybe other people had thought Brittiny and I were both his wives--till I pointed out that Brittiny is WAY too pretty to be a polygamist:
Thursday evening Jared stayed at the hotel with the girls while the rest of us hiked to Delicate Arch. Dang, I can't believe people are willing to do this hike in July. Insane. You spend the first half-mile trekking up a steep hill of slickrock, with no shade in sight. Even on a cool day with the sun low in the horizon, I was feeling pretty warm. After you schlep up the hill, you've got another half-mile to cross of much easier terrain. The last hundred yards or so take you on a narrow ledge overlooking an enormous sandstone canyon:
Then you turn the corner, and voila:
Suddenly I got why Delicate Arch is on our license plate, on the front page of the Utah tourism site, in every "Scenes of Utah" calendar ever printed. . .Up-close and in person, it really is spectacular.
By Friday, the weather had turned cold and stormy--it even started to snow as we packed up the cars and headed out to Dead Horse Point. I remember being both horrified of the name and terrified of the dropoff at Dead Horse Point when I was a little girl. Dad had to promise that yes, there was a fence, and no, nobody was going to fall off the edge, before I agreed to get out of the car to take a look. I'm afraid Elizabeth was equally reticent about the overlook, though for her it was simply because it was so darned COLD. We ran out to take a quick peek and snap some photos before dashing back to the warmth of the car.
We got back from our trip Friday evening, just in time to have dinner with the rest of the family and pretend to be surprised when Brandon showed up late that night, having flown in from Newark as a surprise for Brittiny and the kids. As it turns out, the news had slowly leaked out and everyone knew he was coming, but they didn't know everyone else knew. Regardless, we were happy that he made it out for the rest of the visit.
3 comments:
I'm a little jealous even though I'm sure I would have been miserable through all those hikes :) You guys look so cute!
This was a fun and memorable trip, even if all the kiddies remember is the "show and tell" and the rolls at breakfast.
Yep, I finally "get" why Delicate Arch is so famous. It was beyond description.
And, FYI, I did not know Brandon was coming....probably the only one who didn't.
Thank you Holly for not posting any pics of me, I looked like warmed up death the whole trip. It's all about the kids anyhow!!
Yeah, we gotta go back to see Landscape Arch in the morning! ;-)
Post a Comment