Monday, January 21, 2013

Oh, Yeah. . .Christmas

The Christmas season is always a busy one--between work parties and church parties and multiple family parties, our calendar is pretty packed.  This year, though, we were forced to take it easy, thanks to some nasty little germs who invited themselves to stay for the holidays.  Just 2 days before Christmas, Ben brought home an awful influenza-like virus that had been making the rounds in the neighborhood.  Jared stayed home with him while I took the girls to church, and while we were sitting around that afternoon, we were surprised to hear a knock at the door and see just who it was:

  

That evening I stayed home with Ben while Jared took the girls to his parents' house for the family party. . .however, ours wasn't the only family laid low;  of the sixteen grandkids slated to be in this year's Nativity, only six were well enough to go to the party.  We decided to schedule a "make up" party for the following week.

For the first time in 10 years, we stayed home on Christmas Eve. . .with nowhere to go, we just hung out together, made some Christmas-tree-shaped pizzas, and had a very quiet evening.


The kids were up bright and early on Christmas morning.  Ben was puzzled by the presents under the tree, but after we handed him one and helped him open it, he made a beeline for the rest!  Once the opening frenzy was over, we all settled back to enjoy our new gifts.




Ben concentrating intently on his new remote-control car.  By this point his poor little cheeks were chapped and raw from the constant runny nose/wiping.  Anna had also started running a fever, so she and Ben stayed home with Jared while I took Elizabeth to visit Nonny & Poppa and Grandma & Grandpa.

 
 Duncan, chilling in Sarah's arms at Nonny & Poppa's house

The next night was the Torgersen party, but I woke up sick with the cold, so this was one party that our family had to skip entirely. 
 
This pic isn't actually from that day, but it pretty much sums up how we were all feeling by this point in the season!
 
A few nights later, Anna and I were well enough to go to the Epperson party. . .this time it was Elizabeth's turn to stay home sick. . .along with Ben, who still had a pretty nasty cough.  Anna enjoyed getting to spend some quality time with Hailey and Yvey, without having to share them with Elizabeth.



Finally, FINALLY, we were all well enough to go to the second Olson party.  We had a wonderful time, with another wonderful Nativity production.


The next night was New Year's Eve, and we planned our usual "Fondue-palooza".  This year I decided to extend the invitation to our families.  Unfortunately, Jared came home from work early that afternoon, sick as a dog.  I figured he'd finally succumbed to the cold the kids had, tucked him into bed, and called our invitees to warn them.  Kellie & Joe and Nonny & Poppa still decided to come, and we all enjoyed some fondue and good conversation.


Ahh, just look at this happy gathering of people, blissfully unaware of the fact that in their presence was millions of streptococcus bacteria, eagerly looking for a new home.  Yep, that "cold" of Jared's was in fact strep throat. . .and it turns out Ben had it too.

 Patient Zero

At first I brushed off Ben's irritability and nightwakings as an ear infection from the previous cold--given his history with ear infections (he always kicked them on his own without much trouble), I thought we could wait it out.  But when another day passed and Jared was still pretty miserable, I began to suspect strep throat in the both of them.  By the time I got Ben in to see the pediatrician, Anna and I were sick too.  Thankfully, Jared was feeling well enough by that point to take care of us all, and we started on antibiotics right away so as not to infect everyone who was to attend Elizabeth's baptism two days later.  I love you, amoxicillin.

So. . .yeah.  This year's holiday season was something of a blur.  Lots of Motrin and pajamas and movies.  You'd think after all of the illnesses we've had since Thanksgiving, I'd be more vigilant than ever with the Purell;  on the contrary, I feel ready to surrender.  After all, what's left to catch?




1 comment:

Momila said...

2012 New Year's Fonda-palooza will forever be known as Strep-to-palooza. So gald we're all kind of healthy again..what a winter!!