Sunday, September 30, 2012

Beaver Pond

 
Ahhh, fall.  The days are getting shorter, there's a crisp note in the air, and the mountains are putting on their autumnal finery.  We took advantage of the weather on Saturday to enjoy a hike with Nonny & Poppa and Kellie, Joe, and Yvey.  

The hike starts with a steep half-mile climb through a forest of quakies. . .

 

Eventually the trail levels out and opens into a meadow. . .



 

. . .Cross the meadow, go through a little grove of quakies, and voila:

 Chucking rocks into the pond.

The secret to keeping Anna happy on these treks:  Lollipops.

 Ben, on the hunt for "mo" rocks to throw into the water.

 Kellie went for a short sprint while the rest of us hung out at the pond eating Gobstoppers.

I snagged this candid shot and then when I reviewed it on the camera I exclaimed, "Oh darn, Kellie, you're in Joe's shadow." She said she's used to that.  


After the kids had their fill of rock-chucking--and after tending to Kellie's bee-stung hand (ouch!)  we headed back down the trail.
 
We stopped for another look at the bones we found just off the trail:  a vertebra and big ol' femur from some unfortunate ungulate.
 Ben, waiting to ambush Mommy along the trail.  His new favorite word:  "Boo!"

 Yvey, riding in style on Joe's back.



 Back at the trailhead.
 

Welcome, fall--we're glad you're here!










2 comments:

Kellie/Joe said...

I also ate some Gobstoppers. They were not everlasting. Thanks for getting theses great pictures!!

Momila said...

Kellie showed us all up by running like that...I was very impressed.
Beautiful shots, Holly. I didn't think the colors were that pretty, but coming off your camera, they looked much brighter than they actually were. A great hike and a fun couple of families with which to hike!