Thursday, August 02, 2012

July Festivities

Ah, July.  The hottest, most unforgiving month of the year, and it just so happens to be chock-full of celebrations. . .most of which center around outdoor activities.  First up, 4th of July.  We started the day working on the new playhouse--no way was Jared going to waste a day off of work!

That evening, we went to my parents' house for a barbecue.  Elizabeth decided to share her patriotic flair with the border collie statue on Nonny's front porch:

After our barbecue, we walked over to the high school to watch the city fireworks. This was the first year we attempted to take the kids to a "real" fireworks display;  usually we call it a night around 9:00 and just watch the city displays from the freeway as we drive home



A few weeks later, Jared and I celebrated our 10th anniversary with a real live date.  Actual date nights have become a real rarity around here, but we had such a great time that night that I think we're committed to being better about having them more often.  

Later that week we celebrated "Handcart Days" at the park:  cotton candy, sno-cones, and a spin on a few of the deathtraps carnival rides that are set up every year for the occasion.


The folks who run the rides always set up an ancient tape deck at the base of the Ferris wheel, where they blast Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" album.  I do love Simon & Garfunkel, but I must say it makes a puzzling backdrop to the frenetic activity and noise of a summer carnival. 

Anna, waiting for the parade in style.

Ben was hot and tired, but nothing a sucker couldn't cure.

Jared spent the 24th of July in Florida on a business trip, and I took the kids to Grandma & Grandpa Olson's house for a barbecue.  The cousins had a great time playing together, as usual.  When it got dark, we got to enjoy the amateur firework shows put on by Uncle Jay and the neighbors.  I had my hands full wrangling all three kiddos, so I didn't even bother to bring my camera. . .

. . .I also didn't take any pictures of the girls at their sleepover with Nonny and Poppa, although I hear it was a HUGE success.  A trip to a real movie theater, matching pajamas, sleeping over with cousin Hailey, and tiny boxes of cereal for breakfast:  what more could they ask for? 

And wow, just like that, July is over!  The girls are looking forward to the start of school, but they've got a long way to look:  the school board approved a calendar change that has the school year beginning after Labor Day this year.  No matter.  That just gives me an extra week to prowl the school supply aisles. . .

No comments: