Thursday, June 09, 2011

Top Ten Signs Mommy Is Ready For A Vacation

Jared has been out of town this week, so it's just been me and the kids (and a mean little cold virus that refuses to leave). It's been a busy week, with school letting out, swimming lessons starting, and a visit from the Breppersons, and I'm starting to feel it. One thing I've learned since becoming a mom is that I need to keep an eye on myself. . .I'm talking about Mommy Burnout here. It happens to every mom, so it's important to be aware of the warning signs:

1. You catch yourself arguing with your kids' See 'N Say ("I'm sorry, bunnies do NOT say 'boing' when they jump. In fact, why did they even put a bunny on here? They don't make a dang sound.")

2. The closest you've come to a facial lately is being immersed in a cloud of steam as you drain the spaghetti.

3. You drive somewhere sans kids and as you pull into the parking lot you realize you were singing along to the "Little Mermaid" CD for the whole drive.

4. You volunteer to do double carpool duty, just to ensure you leave the house more than once a week.

5. Your definition of "dressed up" is a T-shirt without any spit-up, your "good" yoga pants, and flip flops.

6. Your definition of "gourmet" is hot dogs in the mac & cheese.

7. You don't like writing checks because you can't remember what year it is.

8. You eagerly anticipate your next dental visit, because it guarantees you the chance to lay down for 30 minutes in the middle of the day.

9. Your kids stop asking you to play Hide & Seek because you are the world's worst "seeker" ("Hmm, I wonder where they could be? Maybe if I lay down on the couch and close my eyes I'll be able to hear them. . .")

10. You find yourself ordering things online just so you can chat with the UPS guy. (By the way, I have the coolest UPS guy ever. He listens to NPR.)

And now, for your viewing pleasure, some pics of the kids I love so much it makes me a little crazy:




(Man, these guys spend a lot of time hanging out on my bed. I hope you all like my bedding--it gets photographed a lot!)

2 comments:

Momila said...

As a "suvivor" of many years of mommy burnout, all i can say i, enjoy it, because before you know it you will be alone...which is OK, just do't ever wish the days away. Ok, well, the sick ones, yeah, but treasure the everyday stuff. It's like tiny miracles every day.

Kellie/Joe said...

I haven't seen your blog in a while, and I forget sometimes that you're probably the funny one in the family. And I had my facial today thanks to the potatoes.