Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Trip: Day 6

Day 6: Ahhh, now THIS is what a vacation should be like! We slept in and spent a leisurely morning puttering around "Moose Haven" (our cabin), before heading out to see some of the Black Hills.

We visited Crystal Cave--I don't have any pictures because Elizabeth quickly decided that caves aren't her "thing" and we took her back up to the surface, along with the diaper bag (containing, of course, the camera). Jared and I went back down into the cave while Elizabeth hung out with Grandma and reportedly had a grand old time playing in the rocks of the gravel parking lot. We also took a trip to the Reptile Gardens, home of the biggest 'gators, lizards, and snakes I'd ever care to see. . .The giant tortoises were pretty neat, although Elizabeth looked skeptical when we told her what they were--I think she still believes they were big rocks. Prairie Dog Town (you can quit laughing now!) was a big hit with her, though I'm afraid for Jared it probably brought back painful memories of the Backyard Gopher Conflict of '04.

Back at the cabin we grilled some burgers, had birthday cake in honor of. . .oh, I can't remember the whole list now. . .and watched "North By Northwest" (remember that chase across Mt. Rushmore?) Well, the boys watched the movie. It simply provided background noise for the girls as we scrapbooked. Leave it to Emily to pack not only the essentials for her family, but supplies for all manner of scrapbooking projects for the rest of us! :)

We had a nice, uneventful ride home the next morning. . .And now the clothes are all washed, the suitcases put away, and even the hokey Mt. Rushmore paperweight placed on the shelf. We're happy to be home and to have all these new memories to share as a family. Heck, give us a couple of years to forget how long the drive was, and we'll do it all again!

1 comment:

Emily Duveen said...

How do you think I have justified buying so many crafting items? Because I was going to share them with my family, of course! Although, I do have to say I will never pack so much stuff in my car for an extended trip again - I guess maybe three suitcases for the scrapbooking stuff may have been a little much. While packing, I think what scared me most was that it was a fraction of how much scrapbooking stuff I actually own. Well, it was fun anyway.