
Tonight for Mutual we took our Young Women downtown to eat at the One World Cafe (41 South 300 East). I'd heard about this place several years ago when it first opened, and I've been meaning to check it out for some time. Tonight I finally got to experience it. . .and I will definitely go back!
There's no set menu. . .The cooks get to work preparing new and unique dishes each day. All ingredients are fresh and organic. Tonight the menu included tofu with pesto sauce, a simple cold pasta salad with tomato sauce, rosemary chicken, and my favorite--scalloped potatoes with a red pepper sauce.
There's no set portion size. . .You take as little or as much as you'd like, and second and third helpings are welcome.
There's no set cost. . .On the counter is a small chest into which you place whatever donation you feel is appropriate, depending on how much you ate. As you can imagine, there were many skeptics who predicted the cafe would be run into the ground by this policy; but 3 years after opening its doors, the cafe is still open and turning a profit.
The cafe also has a work trade program: give an hour of your time wiping down tables or washing dishes, and they'll give you a meal.
Coincidentally, the same day we decided to take our Young Women here, the Salt Lake Tribune ran a story on this unique restaurant. The owner, Denise Cerreta, is establishing a foundation to help entrepreneurs across the nation create a "One World" cafe in their own cities. Sweet.
2 comments:
I doubt a One World cafe will be opened anytime soon in New Haven - unless, of course, they have a 1 hr of washing dishes for one hit off a crack pipe program.
This would be a huge hit in Portland.
Post a Comment